Sunday, March 14, 2010

Spring Forward!

Spring has officially sprung. We set the clocks forward last night, the pileated woodpeckers are back on our telephone pole, and the blue jays are trying to make nests with the streamers on our tricycles. We've resurrected the bubble machine and have been outside all weekend. Yesterday Mimi came in town for a visit, and we went out exploring, seeking the jewels of the season.

After finding a flea market and admiring its treasures,
...we headed to our favorite nursery, where spring's real treasures are beginning to shine.We bought two varieties each of peppers and tomatoes for our Earth Box, and several kinds of herbs and flowers to create a mini-garden in an old Radio Flyer wagon that's been rusting in our backyard.
These little signs of spring are refreshing and invigorating, and each glimpse of growth will be a reminder to nurture the beauty within each living thing.
"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden.
On the first day of spring,
I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth.

I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar."
--Helen Hayes

2 comments:

Liz ~ A Natural Nester said...

Sounds like a lovely Spring-inspired weekend. I love the idea of repurposing the wagon as a planter. And I'm dying for some Earth Boxes. Looking forward to watching your garden grow!

catching caterpillars said...

love all the colors! love the birdies... wow, what a beautiful springtime you are having!!!