Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Yoga Night Crock Pot Recipe: Beef Stew

After our weekend getaway, I was considering what to throw in the crock pot this morning when I read Rose's post about her Ancho Beef Stew (yum). I decided to follow suit with my own more traditional version.

INGREDIENTS:
1-2 lbs. Stew Beef (or lamb)
1/2 c. flour mixed with generous sprinkles of salt and pepper
2 Yukon Gold Potatoes, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 onions, diced
about a cup of chopped green beans
about a cup of frozen corn kernels
2 cups Pomi strained tomatoes (or V8 juice)
1 cup beef broth
1 T. worcestershire sauce
salt
pepper
oregano
1 portabello mushroom cap
a few sprigs of Italian parsley

Dredge the meat in the flour mixture and brown in a little bit of oil. Put all of the vegetables in the crockpot. Place the meat on top of the vegetables. Mix the tomatoes or juice, the broth, the worcestershire sauce, and salt, pepper and oregano to taste. Pour the mixture over the meat. Cook on low for about 9 hours. Chop up the portabello mushroom and the parsley and stir into the mix. Test for seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Cook on low for about another hour. Serve with some crusty bread and enjoy!

BONUS RECIPE: Israeli Couscous with Chard & Carrots
I have to throw this in, because I made it for the kids last night and wound up gobbling it up myself. I found the recipe on one of my favorite sites, Apartment Therapy's The Kitchn. My adaptation follows.

INGREDIENTS:
1 3/4 c. chicken broth
1 1/4 c. Israeli couscous
olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, finely chopped
dash cumin
dash chili powder
4 c. chopped chard
1/4 c. chicken broth
1 tsp. salt
1 T. balsamic vinegar
Bragg's Liquid Aminos

Heat the broth to boiling in a small saucepan. Stir in the couscous and lower the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook about 10 minutes. Remove the lid and set aside. Heat a little bit of olive oil in a large pan over medium-low heat. Saute garlic, carrots, cumin, and chili powder until soft and fragrant. Add the chard and saute until wilted, then stir in the couscous and remaining broth. Cook for another five minutes or so. Add salt, pepper, vinegar and a couple of healthy squirts of Bragg's. I served this with tamari fried tempeh and couldn't get enough of it. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Sara said...

mmm...yummy, we had beef stew this weekend, my fav winter food!