Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Autumnal Equinox: Return to Balance

Today was the Autumnal Equinox, the first day of fall, the day that east and west and day and night are in perfect balance. I was overjoyed to welcome this day with a healthy family. I saw Papa off to work and Big B off to school, and little b and I looked at each other and each saw the same giddy feeling. After a month of healing in our snug little nest, we felt the need to spread our wings and just be outside together, soaking up the light. We decided to visit our favorite treasured hideaway, our Children's Garden, a secret fairy land we just can't get enough of. Being with my healthy little b in this place and watching him play, I could feel our family's equilibrium, our sense of normalcy, returning. The worry and the chaos of the last few weeks was balanced by a calm sense of assurance as I watched him climbing, running, squealing. Even the colors of the day reinforced this balance: autumn, usually typecast in rusts and oranges and browns, today showed us cool, calm blues.
Mama Bird brought her littlest chick--and a perfectly sweet picnic--and joined us for the fresh air. The four of us had the secret garden to ourselves, and enjoyed the simple pleasures of almost-uninterrupted sentences, almost-two-year-olds, and an almost-fall morning. I am grateful. Grateful for the health of my family, grateful for the warm summer sun and the cool autumn breeze, grateful for the light held in a blue flower, grateful for this life I live that allows me to take my baby to play with a friend on a Tuesday morning in a whimsical world.

1 comment:

Liz ~ A Natural Nester said...

I am grateful for our special time at this special place. Thank you, and happy Fall!