Sunday, October 25, 2009

Feathers! (aka The Best Birthday Party Ever)

Sometimes, things happen so serendipitously that we can't help reinforce our inner child's belief in magic. Yesterday we had the absolute privilege of attending the birthday party of a very special six-year old, one Big B has known his entire life. The party took place on a 40-acre ranch a few miles eastward. As soon as we pulled into the gate, I think we all knew this was going to be quite a fun afternoon.The birthday party was beyond fabulous, complete with all amenities and then some--ice cream, pinata, hay ride, corn toss, shaved ice treats, and an old school cartoon projected on a sheet at dusk.Everyone was grinning all afternoon. The magic among our incredible village was everywhere--but I experienced a personal magic, the fulfillment of a quest in the sweetest way I could imagine. Two weeks ago, I decided with total surety that I needed peacock feathers. Lots and lots of peacock feathers. They will be used to bling up an event I'm coordinating, and there is precious little time. When we arrived at the ranch, I learned that there are at least twenty peacocks that live on the land. Some of the little ones (and some grown-ups too!) promptly went on a feather hunt.
I hit the motherload! A bag full of peacock feathers, hawk feathers, quail feathers and more. And--I can't even believe I'm about to type this--as we were on a trail ride, we had to stop to let six huge, gorgeous peacocks cross our path. If that ain't serendipity, I don't know what is!

No comments: