Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas Project Update: Advent Calendar

I have finished the Advent Calendar for my sister's family. It is much more traditional than the funky version I saw on the purl bee, but I love its colors. I loved making this calendar, not only because of the family I made it for, but because it was a practice in mindful sewing. I am proud to say I did not, even once, accidentally sew a pocket shut, or sew outside of a square. This project has also eradicated my fear of embroidery. The purl's tutorial on chain stitching was a big help, as was our recent road trip; all of the squares were embroidered in Alabama!

MATERIALS USED:
-1/2 yd. 100% wool felt (eucalyptus), cut into (24) 2-1/2" squares
-1/2 yd. 100% wool felt (burgundy), cut into (24) 3" squares
-1/2 yd. 100% wool felt (cream), cut into an 18" x 24" rectangle, used scraps for tabs
-1 yd. christmas print flannel backing
-burgundy embroidery thread
-eucalyptus, burgundy and cream gutermann's cotton thread
-scissors, rotary cutter, cutting mat, straight edge, pins There are so many great ideas out there for filling the little pockets; I'm not sure yet how I will fill theirs, as they will be opening them all at once, but I'd like to include family activity cards for them to put in next year's calendar (i.e. go light-seeing, string popcorn and cranberries, write a letter to Santa, etc.). I hope this becomes a beloved tradition for my niece and nephew. (S., if you're reading this, act surprised. Love you.)

3 comments:

Liz ~ A Natural Nester said...

This is fantastic! Your sister's family will be honored and delighted.

Amanda Jean said...

what a great project/gift! I read the purl bee blog, but somehow missed that adorable project! I think embroidering on wool felt would be much easier than on a lighter fabric. I am so going to have to put this on my to-do list! I bet your sis will love it!

and about your comment on my blog post for today...I edited the post after you left your question about cutting...you didn't miss read the first time. :)

Kangaroo said...

AJ-you're so right, the wool felt was very sturdy and a great canvas for embroidery. i will be making more of these next year, in a different style.

THANKS MAMA BIRD! Can't wait to see those stockings!