Thursday, April 16, 2009

Mission Organization: Sewing Station

I have finished organizing my disaster of a sewing space, in honor of the new fabric chest I scored a couple of weekends ago. It was so much fun. I organized every notion and tool. I organized the buttons, the ribbons, the rick-rack, the thread. I personalized the lid of the chest with the fabric I won from Sew, Mama, Sew. I can't stop opening up the drawers.I organized the fabric by type, size and color. I have several drawers for cotton fabric, a drawer for flannel, a drawer for corduroy, and a drawer for upholstery fabric. I even have a drawer for tiny scraps and selvages. Oversized backing, batting and polyfill are neatly stored in stacked bins next to the desk, creating a bit more surface area.
This move may be detrimental to my career--all I want to do is sew. At least I'm making an effort to sew responsibly: I have joined Spring to Finish at Tallgrass Prairie Studio, with the goal of finishing half-completed projects before beginning new ones.

For now, I am satisfied with a workspace that is efficient and lovely, the perfect environment for my chosen creative outlet. On a child-sized desk, I have enough space for one current project, my iron, my sewing machine, my cutting mat, and my knitting basket. I owe it all to the fabric chest. Thank you, yard sale gods. Thank you.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness ... it makes my heart so happy to see such beautiful organization! I love it!

Liz ~ A Natural Nester said...

Just beautiful. Looks like you're ready for Project Prayer Flag. I believe you deserve a trip to Sew Worth It! Maybe tomorrow afternoon?

Liquid Pen said...

That is just AWESOME....you know you could just become a crafter!? You look like a professional already anyhow!

Rose said...

Whoopieee!!!!!!!!!! That is AWESOME!!! Well DONE! Can't wait to see it in real life. And I think I recognize one of those scraps....