Monday, December 7, 2009

A Winter Poem

Today is Day Seven on our Advent Calendar, and it's fitting that the activity required no imagery; my trusty bloggy camera is on its deathbed, and we await its replacement later this week. Today's activity was to write a winter poem. Big B's words were simple, but his thought process provoked so much curiosity for me, and a great conversation:

It is winter.
Snow is on the ground,

Snowflakes are falling.

Roots are connected.


I love that he has noticed this often overlooked detail of winter scenes; the roots peeking through the snow. He told me that even underneath all of that snow and trees the roots are all connected, keeping everything alive.

photo by QT Luong at Yosemite National Park

1 comment:

Liz ~ A Natural Nester said...

It always amazes me, the creativity of young children. And the awareness they have, which we have forgotten. Banyan's poem is lovely.