Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Thoughts on Seven, Thoughts on Heaven

The paths are many, the truths are one.

Big B turned seven today. I just have to go on record here and say that despite my lack of patience with several of his more testosterone-driven, spirited antics, the boy is an absolute joy to be around. He is funny, crazy smart, and curious in the sweetest way.

Tonight, on the way home from Papa's softball game, Big B asked me if there were other people that could do magic besides God. Is there is a more beautifully fantastic question? We talked about the magic of gravity, the magic of color, and, Big B added, the magic of being alive. We talked (again) about the fact that although there are many world religions with their various differences, there are underlying common threads among them that are the important things to remember: all we need is love, and be kind to each other. He liked this.

We had just finished this conversation, and were on to the scientific differences between sharks and dolphins, when we passed a church marquee that read, "The paths are many, the truths are one." I felt a peace in my heart and a smile on my face. It was a serendipitous affirmation of the honor and joy it has been to be a mother these last seven years. When I teach with my heart, I am rewarded with the truth. Every time.

I love you, Big B. The day you were born was the happiest day of my life.

2 comments:

Rose said...

Goosebumps.

You are stellar mother. Don't ever forget it.

catching caterpillars said...

wow... beautiful! you rock Laura... the way you teach with your heart is magic! xoxo Happy Birthday big B!