Sunday, March 8, 2009

6th Knit: Baby School Spirit, Pom Pom and All

Remember that yarn I had pleasantly warming on the dashboard this week? It has now morphed into a gift for a new baby in the village, one whose parents share our alma mater. In tribute, I upsized this baby hat a bit, to be wearable during the autumn months (football season!). I cast on 60 stitches with the orange and blue varieties of the self-striping yarn I'm in love with, and garter stitched for about an inch or so. I switched to a stockinette stitch until the piece measured about 3.75 inches, then I started my decrease. When it was finished, the top didn't quite jive with the rest of the hat, and I realized why: of course, such a spirited hat needs a pom pom! I learned how to quickly make one with this tutorial, and am happy with this handmade gift.

No comments: